Monday, June 2, 2008

Eureka! I've got it!

Howdy Doody Y'all (am I getting more convincing?)

So I thought that this would be just a weekly blog, where I would post once on the weekend--my reflections on the week and stuff-- as a way to pass the time when everything in Houston is shutdown (see the rest of the story below), but it turns out that I have some time to spare and some fun things to report on, so you can choose to read on for adventures around downtown Houston, or you can give up now--no hard feelings.

Saturday passed by in a haze. I got up, ate breakfast, asked someone how to find the gym, went to the gym, came back, showered, got dressed, walked to campus, went to the library, walked back from campus, ate lunch, looked at the clock, aaaaand.... it was 2:30. No joke. Then there was some watching of some professional pool (billiards?) sharks in hiding, and then subway for dinner. The next day after the gym, Harsh called me and said "We're going downtown!" Thank goodness, I thought.

After a surprisingly short busride, we found ourselves in the middle of downtown Houston. The city is shockingly small, actually, but it's really beautiful because the area around it is so flat that you can see the little cluster of buildings from every side. We ended up walking in the opposite direction of most of the attractions, so we instead saw Minute Maid Stadium, the Convention Center, and Chinatown. We had appetizers at a little sports bar where they apparently have a Wii bowling league. After that we came back to our appartments and I got to work on my Powerpoint for my presentation on Tuesday.

My Powerpoint is awesome. It is one of the best Powerpoints I have ever even seen. It's going to blow everyone else out of the water.... I can only hope that what it says is correct. I was able to ask Dr. Ruchhoeft about my project today, and it turns out I'm not really working with Azeem. Instead, I am going to be looking at the development of a method in which the microfiltration membranes that we create will be stuck to a porous structure that will act as a support for the fragile membrane. Eureka! Finally I have my project, and even though the fine details still escape me, I could not be more excited!

I think it's going to be an nano-ly awesome summer.

Wish me luck tomorrow!

No comments: